This recipe is for you if you want a perfect snack on a cosy night or a delicious side meal! These crispy smashed potatoes are easy and fun to make, and you need minimal ingredients.
If you are wondering if you could use white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes, you definitely could. Both types are tasty and nutritious. Sweet potatoes, though, are loaded with beta-carotene and have an earthy, sweet taste.
Our bodies convert beta-carotene into Vitamin A (Retinol), which is critical for whole-body health and vibrant skin. Cooking improves the bioavailability of this antioxidant, which can also protect against age-related degenerative eye disease.
I’ve noticed that if your sweet potatoes are not relatively fresh, they could turn out quite dry. So, I recommend buying new and juicy sweet potatoes paired with some vegan mayo for the best experience
I’m using Zaatar spice mix and other ingredients for the dressing in the recipe. If you don’t have Zaatar spice mix handy, you can make your version by mixing dried thyme, oregano, sumac, cumin, sesame seeds and salt. But to simplify it even further, any herbs will work.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and make sure to let your kids try it, as it may become their new favourite snack!
Crispy Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 sweet potato big
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 handful basil fresh
- 1 tbsp zaatar mix
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 180C.
- Wash the potatoes. Chop them into cubes, keeping the skin on. Boil the cubes until tender.
- Place the cooked cubes on the baking pan. Cover the bottom of a glass with a square piece of parchment paper and smash the cubes.
- Mix finely chopped galric, basil, olive oil, Zaatar spice mix and salt and pepper together. Brush on the mixture onto the sweet potatoes and bake until crispy for approx 30 minutes.
- Serve with a generous amount of vegan mayo.