Imagine this… It’s a weekend, and you are feeling hungry. Then you check your pantry and fridge only to find a lonely purple cabbage, a can of chickpeas and some peanut butter. So what do you do next? Get a food delivery or eat peanut butter with a spoon? Don’t rush doing anything because I promise you that cabbage is worth your attention, and this recipe is proof.
This scenario happened to me one day, and I was glad to give that cabbage a chance because the result was delicious! So I first got the idea to roast the vegetable, and it turned a humble cabbage into a sweet and satisfying meal. Then I topped it up with air-fried chickpeas and peanut sauce, which was the best idea ever.
I have to mention that red cabbage is very nutritious. It’s rich in anti-inflammatory nutrients like lutein, zeaxanthin, anthocyanins, quercetin and beta-carotene. If you are unsure what any of these are, you might want to check out my blog article explaining the importance of phytonutrients for skin health. Red cabbage is also an excellent vitamin C source, vital for collagen production and strong immunity.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein and vital nutrients like Iron, Copper, Manganese and Magnesium. Added spices like paprika and cumin will boost their anti-inflammatory properties and add great flavour.
When it comes to peanut butter, I try to choose the one without additives. I always follow the rule the fewer the ingredients, the better. And you’ll need some lime juice to create a sauce out of it, but lemon will do as well.
Follow the simple steps below to create the most simple but nourishing meal, which is better than takeaway food and has various benefits for the skin!
Roasted Purple Cabbage Steaks With Crunchy Chickpeas And Peanut Sauce
- 1 purple cabbage medium
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 handful parsley fresh
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Slice your cabbage into thick steaks. Arrange on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Turn steaks and drizzle second sides with oil; season with salt and garlic. Roast for 40 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- Put rinsed and dried chickpeas in a bowl with cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well. Lightly spray with olive oil or add oil from the bottle and mix well, making sure chickpeas are coated evenly. Then dump chickpeas in the air fryer basket. Cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking a couple of times.
- Whisk peanut butter with freshly squeezed lime juice, a little bit of water and soy sauce. If you want to avoid soy, you can use coconut aminos or salt.
- Serve the cabbage steaks topped with crispy chickpeas and peanut sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley.