To create a delicious chocolate breakfast full of skin-loving nutrients, we only need four ingredients: oatmeal, raw cacao powder, banana and plant-based milk.
Oatmeal is high in fibre, and antioxidants like vitamin E and flavonoids are vital for skin health. It also contains the anti-inflammatory compound Beta Glucan, which stimulates collagen production and increases the skin’s firmness. Combined with raw cacao, it creates a perfect chocolate treat to indulge in guilt-free.
If you like chocolate, I advise you to invest in a good quality raw cacao powder. Raw cacao powder is made by grinding the whole fermented cacao beans. It’s different from commercial cocoa powder because it hasn’t gone through an alkalising process called “dutching” and remains unroasted. “Dutching” destroys most of the nutrients and antioxidants. That’s why it’s best to use raw cacao powder in your meals to receive all the goodness.
Raw cacao contains anti-ageing compounds and essential vitamins that can help protect the sun’s skin, improve blood flow to the skin, and increase its thickness and hydration
For some extra texture and sweetness in our chocolate breakfast, I will add a banana, which is excellent for our digestive health. Bananas contain soluble fibre and resistant starch, which makes them prebiotic foods. Prebiotic foods help to increase healthy gut bacteria and reduce bloating.
Anti-Ageing Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 1 banana mashed
- 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs optional
- 1 tsp sesame seeds optional
- In a bowl combine plant-based milk and raw cacao powder. Stir well until mixed.
- Add oats and mashed banana and cacao nibs. If you like it a bit sweeter, you can add some vanilla extract or maple syrup.
- Mix it all well and then put in the serving jars with a tight lid. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with sesame seeds on top.