I have always been a fan of sweet potatoes for their fantastic health benefit. However, since I’ve learnt that I can also have it as a bread replacement for my morning toast, my life has never been the same!
Sweet potato is an incredibly nutritious and great for the skin. It’s packed with antioxidants like beta-carotene and Vitamin C and E, which are essential for our skin health. In addition, sweet potatoes usually are easy to digest and can be an excellent substitute for morning bread. Choose your toppings!
I am using tahini, another nutrient-dense ingredient in this recipe. It’s made of ground sesame seeds; ideally, you would want to make your own. But if there’s a brand you can trust available for grabs, don’t hesitate to try it!
Sesame seeds contain a high amount of niacin, folate, manganese, copper and phosphorus. So when tahini is mixed with jam, it also could become a healthier substitute for peanut butter.
For jam, you need to heat some frozen berries and add honey. You’ll get a fresh, nutritious compote to put on your toast. I’m using raspberries, which are high in antioxidants and ellagic acid, which help keep the skin healthy.
Good quality honey is known to have antibacterial and antifungal properties, but make sure to get it from a well-trusted source. For the crunch, I added sesame seeds and hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are a great source of complete protein, Vitamin E and other skin-loving nutrients.
As you see, something so simple as breakfast toast can turn into a super nutritious meal!
Skin-Loving Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup raspberries frozen
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
- 1 pinch hemp seeds
- Slice the potato lengthwise not too thin and not too thick.
- Pop the slices right into your toaster. Set your toaster to the most extended setting, then put it through a few cycles.
- To make the raspberry compote, use frozen raspberries and simmer on the low heat. Add a spoon of honey.
- Once the potato is toasted, add the dressing. Cover your toasts with tahini and honey, or tahini and compote.
- Sprinkle the seeds and enjoy!