Have you tried making my Vegan Minced Meat recipe? If yes, try making these delicious Mexican-inspired tacos using homemade vegan meat. The Chorizo-flavoured vegan meat accompanied by Mexican rice, delicate coconut yoghurt, and fresh salsa will leave your cravings in check!
Didn’t get a chance to make homemade vegan minced meat, but still craving some good tacos? I have good news for you – any store-bought vegan meat will do just fine!
The combination of rich flavours won’t leave anyone disappointed, even meat-eaters. That’s why this recipe is excellent for sharing with friends and family, vegan or not. I think it’s nice to make people feel welcomed and satisfied with food, even if their food preferences differ from yours. This also will allow you to show that vegan food is tasty and highly versatile!
Tip: Mix soy-based meat with some canned black beans if it is too heavy or hard to digest. Canned black-eyed beans are usually the easiest to digest, providing soluble fibre, an essential nutrient for digestive health. Soluble fibre can also help to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of blood sugar spikes.
Most vegan meat is heavy for my digestion, so I always prefer some beans in my tacos. However, this recipe doesn’t include any beans because the main purpose of the recipe is to show you how to turn your homemade vegan meat into a delicious treat!
Vegan Mexican Chorizo Rice Tacos
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 4 tomatoes cherry
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 400 grams vegan minced meat
- 1 cup water
- 5 Anaheim Chiles soaked and skinned
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp chili powder optional
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add rice. Cook rice, stirring constantly, for several minutes, until rice begins to turn a golden color.
- In a blender, add water, tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste and the rest of the herbs and spices. Blend.
- Reduce heat and gently pour in the red liquid. Turn heat back up to medium-high, bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed.
- Turn off heat, fluff rice then let sit, covered, for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Cut the Anaheim peppers in half and remove the stalk, seeds and white membrane. Soak them in a hot water, cool them down and then remove the skin.
- In a blender, add water, skinned peppers and the rest of the ingredients. Blend and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, add oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then add the vegan minced meat.
- Pour the “Chorizo sauce” into a pan, mix well and cook until meat is soften and flavours are well absorbed.
- To a bowl, add chopped onions, tomatoes, olive oil and salt.
- Heat the tortillas in a cast iron skillet or over a gas flame until warm and slightly charred. Divide the vegan chorizo and Mexican rice evenly between the tortillas, add salsa, followed by lime juice and coconut yoghurt. Garnish with chopped mint and enjoy!