I believe anyone switching to a plant-based diet needs to have a go-to, dairy-free pasta recipe up their sleeve. Then, when you feel like having something familiar and comforting, you can quickly whip up this dish and enjoy all the creaminess without compromising your gut and skin health.
Cashews are a good source of protein and make a delicious creamy sauce without leaving you feeling heavy. Also, by avoiding dairy, you avoid pro-inflammatory proteins that can worsen hormonal imbalances and cause acne.When we digest these proteins, they release a hormone known as Insulin-like Growth Factor 1, which promotes androgen hormones such as testosterone, which can trigger acne.
You can also increase the nutritional value of this meal by choosing gluten-free pasta like quinoa, brown rice or chia. This way, you will increase your fibre and protein intake.
In this recipe, I’m using simple white button mushrooms that potentially offer anticancer function due to their high content of antioxidant compounds, including polyphenols, polysaccharides, ergothioneine, glutathione, selenium, and Vitamin C. Isn’t it fascinating?
It’s exciting to know that we can enjoy comforting creamy pasta without compromising our health!
Dairy-Free Alfredo Pasta
- 4 serving pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pack mushrooms diced
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 handfull parsley chopped
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling, well-salted water and cook according to package instructions. Drain and cover to prevent drying.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, diced mushrooms and cumin. Cook until browned on both sides.
- Add to your blender soaked raw cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, tamari sauce, salt, pepper, lemon juice and some plant-based milk. The thickness of the sauce will depend on how much milk you add into it.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth.
- Pour source into a skillet with mushrooms, mix it well together.
- Add cooked pasta into a skillet and give it a good stir on a low heat to warm through.
- Garnish with some parsley.