Tofu is my family’s favourite form of plant-based protein, and this Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito recipe is a popular meal in my house. Unfortunately, tofu gets a lot of bad reputation for no reason. So before we jump into the actual recipe, I want to acknowledge some great benefits of eating tofu or other whole or minimally processed soy products.
Tofu is an excellent source of protein, and it contains all the essential amino acids. In addition, it’s rich in Iron, Calcium, Manganese, Phosphorus and many other essential nutrients.
Soy naturally contains phytoestrogens, which have either a beneficial or neutral effect on human health. Phytoestrogens are NOT estrogens, nor do they function the same as human estrogens. Instead, phytoestrogens are isoflavones that offer various health benefits like cholesterol reduction, menopausal support and protection against breast, ovarian, prostate and colon cancer! So if you don’t have soy allergies or intolerances, you should consider including soy products in your daily diet.
Always choose certified organic soy products at the supermarket, or even better, find a local small business that produces homemade tofu from organic crops. Tofu is versatile and can be prepared in many ways to create different flavours and textures.
In this recipe, we will make a tofu scramble which resembles an egg scramble in many ways! The other ingredients like beans, bell pepper, avocado, spinach and vegan cheese (optional) will complement the texture adding amazing flavours to our breakfast burrito. Your family will appreciate this dish!
4 medium whole grain wraps
1 1/2 blocks of tofu, squeezed and crumbled
1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup spinach, chopped
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (optional)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black and white pepper
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp black salt
Serves 3-4 people
- Place tofu in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the water. Place tofu in a bowl and crush it with a fork to create a scrambled egg consistency.
- Add olive oil to a hot pan followed by red bell pepper. Season it with garlic powder and paprika.
- Next, add black beans, followed by tofu and the rest of the spices. Mix it all well together and cook it for a bit until all the spices dissolve and tofu becomes nice and yellow. You can also add a tiny amount of plant-based milk if you feel like your scramble is too dry.
- When tofu is ready, turn off the stove and add spinach and vegan cheddar cheese. Vegan cheese is optional, but it complements the tofu nicely.
- Lastly, add black salt, which will add that eggy taste to your tofu. Give it all a good mix.
- Warm your wraps.
- Put a desirable amount of your tofu scramble along with some fresh avocado in the centre of the wrap. Not overfill it.
- Fold the sides inwards, towards the filling.
- Roll the burrito over the feeling, tucking as you roll.
- Continue to roll until your burrito seems side down. Enjoy!