I don’t know about you, but I like to start my day on a sweet note. It helps me get in the right mood, gives me a boost of energy, and maintains my sweet cravings during the rest of the day.
In this smoothie, I combined all my favourite beauty foods that taste amazing and full of antioxidants and essential vitamins, vital for our skin health and immune system. This smoothie is a perfect chocolate treat that you can have absolutely guilt-free. It’s filling, tasty and healthy!
The star of the show is raw cacao powder that brings most of the flavour. To boost our smoothie’s nutritional content, I added fresh aloe vera, spinach, and frozen berries, high in anti-ageing antioxidants and collagen-boosting nutrients. I added banana and ground seeds to create a creamy texture, a great source of Omega and prebiotic fibre.
1/2 cup of spinach
1 cup of frozen berries
1 medium-size piece of aloe vera gel (70g)
1 tbsp of ground pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp of ground flaxseed
2 tbsp of raw cacao powder
A glass of water
- Prep the aloe vera by removing the hard, spine edges on either side of the leaf. Carefully slice away the aloe vera leaf’s skin to get the thick, clear gel at the centre. Cut the gel into smaller pieces than rinse with water. Make sure to wash off all the latex residues (yellow sticky liquid), then add clean aloe vera gel into your smoothie blender.
- Wash spinach then add to the blender.
- Ground your seeds either in the coffee grounder or food processor. Then add to the blender. It’s best to use fresh ground seeds to maximise nutritional absorption of the sources. It also gives a smoothie nice creamy texture.
- Add peeled banana, frozen berries, raw cacao and water.
- Blend until smooth. Serve immediately!