I know that tofu scramble is usually associated with breakfast, but it is my family’s go-to meal at any time. For example, a tofu scramble paired with toast and kimchi is perfect for breakfast or lunch. Try mixing it with some pasta for dinner, and you get an ideal combination my son can’t get enough of!
I’ve shared different variations of tofu scramble before, like High Protein Green Goddess Toast or Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito, so choose what looks best for your taste
This recipe contains the same fundamental ingredients of a good tofu scramble: kala namak (black salt), turmeric and nutritional yeast. The difference here is that this recipe includes Sriraja sauce, a type of hot sauce or chilli sauce made from a paste of chilli peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. You will enjoy this addition if you love your food a little spicy. If not, stick to the pepper, which also gives a nice kick.
If you want your tofu scramble to resemble eggs, then you should go for firm tofu, which from my experience, works best. Firm tofu contains less water than soft, but I’d still press it for 15 minutes to get more water out. If you find extra-firm tofu, you will need to press it for 5 minutes only.
I like adding tomatoes and bell pepper to boost this meal’s fibre and nutrient content. Before frying the tofu, sauté your veggies so that most moisture comes out and add tofu. Once your tofu scramble is cooked, add a dash of black salt before serving, as black salt loses some potency as it cooks. Then, put it on sourdough toast with some kimchi – it’s a real treat!
Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 1 block tofu firm
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Sriraja sauce
- 1 cup bell pepper diced
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- Drain and press the tofu. Put it in the bowl and then crumble it with the fork or hands into medium bite-sized chunks.
- Add spices and coconut milk and mix well.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with the oil. Add chopped veggies, saute them first then add tofu.
- Fry until it’s lightly browned for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally but not too often to allow the exterior to get lightly browned.
- Continue frying the tofu until you reach your desired texture and consistency.
- Finish the scramble with a few shakes of black salt. Pair it with a sourdough toast, kimchi and roasted pumpkin seeds.