The best thing I learned about healthy eating and cooking is that most of the time, it’s not about the dish; it’s about the ingredients. For example, who doesn’t like a bowl of noodles? Unfortunately, if you get takeaway, you most likely get a meal with refined carbs, minimum veggies, and too much oil, making it not friendly for gut and skin health.
With my simple recipe, you can create the most delicious soba noodle bowl without compromising your taste buds and wellness. The key is to choose buckwheat noodles. Buckwheat is a grain-like seed that’s gluten-free and high in protein and nutrients.
In addition, the high-fibre content in buckwheat noodles helps slow down how fast the carbs are digested, making it less likely to spike blood sugar levels. However, some buckwheat noodles may contain wheat flour, so check the ingredients if you are trying to avoid gluten.
Another trick to make a healthy bowl of noodles is to use water instead of oil to saute the veggies. It’s easy and makes your vegetables taste as delicious.
Use small amounts of water, adding more until vegetables are tender. Also, the steaming effect will prevent your veggies from losing nutrients and increase the bioavailability of beta-carotene.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think! 😉
Miso Tahini Soba Noodle Veggie Stir-Fry With Tofu
- 2 servings buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup cabbage thinly diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanuts crushed
- 1 block tofu firm
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 lime
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Prepare the sauce by whisking the miso paste, tahini, soy sauce, lime juice and water. Add water gradually until you get the desired consistency. You don't want the sauce to be too thick or too runny.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping it in a tea towel and placing a wooden chopping board on top. Let the tofu drain until you think it's enough, then cut it into thick strips.
- Mix spices and white sesame seeds on the plate. Cover tofu chunks in spices evenly, then cook in air-fryer for about 5-6 mins.
- Cook the noodles al dente according to package directions. Drain then add a tiny bit of sesame oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Add a couple of tbsp of water to a hot skillet. Add the veggies and saute until tender-crisp, adding more water as you go. Add the garlic and soy sauce, then stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked veggies and sauce to the pan with noodles. Toss the noodles and coat the vegetables in seasoning.
- Add crushed peanuts and toss again.
- Serve in a bowl with tofu and fresh herbs.